Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Adventure of a lifetime: Korea. Where it all started

by - April 05, 2019


The passion for travel started not long time ago, only at the end of 2017, when one of my friends encouraged me to apply for Erasmus+ youth exchange, which took place in Italy. After this visit I became eager to explore more and broaden my world outlook. Denmark, Belarus, Norway were the travels that followed Italy. But there was that one particular region that has always been in my bucket list – South Korea.

Since the childhood the culture and architecture of east Asia has always been mysterious and breathtaking. Watching the photos of blooming cherry blossoms filled my heart with joy and amusement. During my free time I used to open Google Maps and wander through the streets located near the Han river, imagining being part of the noisy and constantly moving Seoul. I was thinking that it would never be possible to experience the bloom of cherry blossoms or flashing lights in the evenings of Hongdae. But at that time, it was just a silly dream that I didn't believe would ever come true.


However, in the beginning of 2018 everything changed. I met students who were planning to go to an exchange programme in Seoul. A few longer talks and I was boosted and motivated by such courageous decisions. Therefore, I tried my luck and applied for the studies in Chung-Ang University myself. And in the beginning of spring I’ve got the exciting news – I’m going to Korea on the spring of 2019! Even though I was pretty discouraged that I did not get to go on the autumn as planned, I was still overwhelmed by the idea of travelling to another part of the world.

Months passed in the blink of an eye and it was already February. Only a few weeks left before the trip. My parents were more in panic, than I was, even though I was the one leaving. But long hours of doubting and hesitation followed me during the last week before the trip, knowing that I will be going to study alone for a semester in 8000 km away from my home country. The overwhelming feeling and fear of leaving home for a such long period of time wouldn't leave my head. But the support from the friends and the loved ones vanished any sense of doubt and reminded the reason of my trip.


Next thing I knew I was already in the plane, watching the beautiful rise of the sun and ready for the 9 hours of uncomfortable seats and lack of movement. With a trembling heart I was open for the upcoming adventures and unforgettable experiences. After a long 16-hour journey from Vilnius through Warsaw to Seoul, we were finally here, in a city, full of innovation and culture. It felt surreal to walk on the streets of my dream land, and it still does till this moment.


Who could’ve imagined that a shy girl, who rarely goes out of her comfort zone, would even consider this kind of adventure? I wouldn’t believe myself, to be honest. But here I am, pursuing my dream, and I couldn’t be happier to finally share these thoughts and moments with you! Follow the journey and experience South Korea with me!


You May Also Like

0 komentarai (-ų)